Transcribed by Ann McClean from:
"The Mayors of England & Wales 1902"
Coronation Year, King Edward VII
(Compiled and Edited by F.A. Barnes)
Published by W.T. Price & Co, 19, Grand Parade, Brighton, England.
Mr. Geoffrey Howard.
Mr. Geoffrey Howard, M.A., of Bedford, son of Mr. James Howard, twice Mayor, High Sheriff and M.P. for Bedford and Bedfordshire, and grandson of Mr. John Howard, four times Mayor of Bedford, was born at Bedford in 1865, and educated at Bedford Grammar School and King's College, Cambridge; he is now one of the proprietors of the Britannia Ironworks. He served on the Town Council for several years, and was re-elected to that body on November 1st, 1901, being unanimously chosen as Mayor for the Coronation year; is Chairman of the Committee of the Bedford Grammar School, and Major of the 1st Bedfordshire Royal Engineers.
Bedford is a very fine old town and historically celebrated as the place where John Bunyan was imprisoned, and where he wrote his famous allegory, "The Pilgrim's Progress"; it is also famous for it's educational establishments, at the head of which is the Grammar School, one of the group of "Harpur" Schools endowed by Sir William Harpur.
The Corporation owns the water and electric light works, and was the first to obtain an order to provide municipal telephones.
Area of the borough, 2200 acres; population, 38,000; rateable value £145,000.
Town Clerk, Mr. R.O. Seacome.
Mr. Alderman Arthur Edward Langridge and Mrs. Arthur Edward Langridge.
Mr. Alderman Arthur Edward Langridge, Crawley Villa, Dunstable, Bedfordshire, son of Mr. John Langridge, who was Mayor of Dunstable, 1886-87, and grandson of Mr. Edward Langridge, Mayor of St Albans, in 1854, was born in Dunstable, May 22nd, 1852, and educated at Dunstable Collegiate School and St John's College, Luton. He entered the Town Council in 1890, and was made Alderman in 1898; has held the office of Mayor four times, 1894-95, 1895-96, 1900-01 and re-elected for 1901-02, Coronation year; County Councillor for Bedfordshire from 1897 to 1900; Governor of Ashton Grammar Schools, Chews, and Freeholders' Charities.
Mr. Langridge married, in 1889, Annie, daughter of Mr. T. Miller, of Hillcote.
Dunstable is a town rich in historical reminiscences; Henry I. built a palace here in 1100, and granted a Charter to the place in 1131, which Charter is still in existence at the Public Record Office. The town was incorporated on modern lines in 1864, and a separate Commission of the Peace granted in 1866.
Area of the borough, 431 acres; population, 5147; Town Clerk, Mr. C.C.S. Benning.
Mr. Alderman Low Giddings, J.P. and Mrs. Low Giddings.
Mr. Alderman Low Giddings, J.P., Millbrook House, Luton, son of Mr. E. Giddings, builder, of St Ives, Hunts, was born at St Ives, and educated at the British School, St Ives; he is in business as a monumental sculptor and stone merchant. He entered the Council in 1890, was made an Alderman in 1894, and elected Mayor in 1900, being re-elected Mayor for the Coronation year on November 9th, 1901; has been chairman of the Highways Committee for six years; a Justice of the Peace for the borough since 1892; a Wesleyan, and has held all the offices open to a layman in the Church circuit; is Steward at the present time, and Sunday School Superintendent; a total abstainer, and warmly interested in all philanthropic movements.
Mr. Giddings married, in 1878, Emily, daughter of Mr. Walker, of St Ives, Hunts, and has issue three sons and two daughters. The Mayoress is President of the British Women's Temperance Society, and a total abstainer.
Luton was incorporated in 1876; the Corporation owns the electric lighting works, markets, library, baths, etc., and has done a large amount of work in improving the town. It is the centre of the straw plait and hat manufacture in England, but has besides a considerable and varied trade.
Area of the borough, 3134 acres; population, 36,404; rateable value, £150,514.
Town Clerk, Mr. George Sell.