[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]

TODDINGTON, a market town and parish in the hundred of MANSHEAD, county of BEDFORD, 15 miles (S.) from Bedford, and 89 (N. W. by N.) from London, containing 1665 inhabitants. This small town occupies an elevated site, and is irregularly built; the houses are of ancient appearance. The manufacture of straw-plat employs a great number of the poor inhabitants. The market, granted by charter of Henry III., in 1218, is held on Saturday, but has considerably declined: fairs are held on St. George's day, the first Monday in June, September 4th, November 2nd, and December 16th. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £29.2.11., and in the patronage of the Heirs of the late Lady Louisa Conolly. The church, which is dedicated to St. George, has portions in the later style of English architecture, and contains some ancient monuments; the exterior is ornamented with a variety of grotesque figures of animals. There is a place of worship for Wesleyan Methodists. Some remains of an old manor-house, erected on the summit of Cinger mount, are still visible, having been converted into a farm-house. An hospital for a chaplain and three poor men was founded here, in 1443, by Sir John Broughton.

Photographs Copyright © Pauline Hannaford 2002

Conger Lane

St George's Church - Entrance Doorway

St George's Church

St George's Church from Conger Lane

St George's Church

St George's Church Under repair

Across the green from the Market Square

Conger Lane from the Green

Conger Hill

Conger Hill

View from Conger Hill

Junction of Church Sqaure and Park Road