[From Samuel Lewis's Topographical Dictionary of England 1831.]
THURLEIGH, a parish in the hundred of WILLEY, county of BEDFORD, 6½ miles (N.) from Bedford, containing 477 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Bedford, and diocese of Lincoln, rated in the king's books at £9. - Crawley, Esq. and others were patrons in 1801. The church is dedicated to St. Peter. Eight children are instructed for about £6. 10. per annum, the bequest of George Franklyn, in 1618. Here is the moated site of the ancient mansion of Blackbull Hall, and on Bury hill are vestiges of a circular camp.